Thursday, March 5, 2009

Words from our Scout Master, Omari Sankofa


Hello Hartford Scouting family and friends.

I thought it time I started communicating my thoughts, and eventually my vision, regarding Hartford's male youth scouting program. Essentially, I want the program to continue the tradition of making Tigers into Eagles and see boys transform into men. This can only continue to be done by the grace of God and the unfaltering dedication and support of you - my church, my family and my friends. As Mr. Lindsay assumes a new role in scouting and I transition into the role of Scout Master, I will be leaning very heavily on all of you, but in particular - Deacon Holmes, Deacon Hampton, Mr. Lapsey, Dr. Lattimore, Mr. Lloyd, and Mr. Weeden to keep the program going strong.

The great African thinker and revolutionary, Franz Fanon said - "Each generation, out of relative obscurity, must discover it's mission, fulfill it, or betray it." As I reflect on my life, the thoughts of suicide at 18, the disconnect and estrangement from my father through my twenties and reunion with him in my thirties, my early political development in a Black Nationalist community organization, my mid-life baby steps with Christ, the maturation into man, husband, father - of all the men who've mentored me directly and indirectly, what I've learned in the academic realm and all the ghetto cracks in the sidewalk I've stepped on from then to now, - I truly believe God has given me a mission to work in the scouting program. Reluctantly, I have come to accept that call, responsibility, and mission. Pray for me that I don't fall short.

We have all the ingredients here to do great things with the young people who are and will be in our care. As my wife has said to me so many times, what we need to do to get the boys through the program is in the scouting book. We have our road map, we (especially me) just need to read it and commit to following it's road signs. Once we know where we're going, we can choose what ever route available to get there. We can take the Pedro trail, the highway, the back road, the old route, the new route, the short route, the long route - we can fly, drive, go by rail or water, run, walk, or crawl. But we can't and won't stand still. As you know, this world does not wait for anyone. Standing still is just a slow paced walk backwards. We either take biblical lessons serious and lead our children in the way they should go, or the world will do it for us. The scouting program is an excellent tool for raising boys with the skills to become better men. By the way, given February was Black history month, scouting started in Africa. By being involved in scouting, we are doing exactly what my last name means - we're "going back to retrieve it".

In the coming days, weeks, and months, we will plan and develop strategies for success. We will work to put each of us in a position to maximize our own special gifts for the benefit of the boys. We will be lovingly self-critical. Everyone has a role. Claim it. Jackie Harper saw a need for a website and she got it done. Mr. Weeden, who happens not to be a member at Hartford, stepped right in on his first month with us and is now working with Dr. Lattimore on tracking advancement for the scouts. Most, if not all of you, have found a way to be essential, like air and water, to the Harford scout program. You all are the life of the scouting program. The boys appreciate it.
In the coming months and years we will recruit and grow. We'll have candle light vigiles or prayer circles with the Girl scouts. We'll build the Crew. We're march in community parades and be unafraid to say, "we're the norm", "the cool", "the way things ought to be". We're learn more about African and African-American history. We're clean up around the church properties and cut grass for seniors and the disabled. We'll serve God, give service to the community, and make sure the boys have fun while becoming Eagles. That's all for now. You're definitely hear from me again in this fashion. The table has been set, the ingredients have been put together just right. Let's work hard at getting the boys to the table to feast on this level of understanding which is ours.

Sincerely,
Omari Sankofa

1 comment:

  1. You, young man make us all proud. I want to be just like you, when I grow up. I hope that my sons will want to be like any of the men at Hartford Memorial Baptist Church Boys Scout program.

    Look for me to continue to step up and work hard as needed.

    All Power to God People. Amen.
    Eileene Gordon-King

    ReplyDelete